(note: this recipe is very versatile- you can add lots of different veggies, or swap out the ham for sausage or bacon if desired)
- Mix the flour and salt together.
- Use a food processor or mixer to quickly cut butter into the flour until it is like sand.
- Add the ice water and mix briefly, to form into a soft ball.
- Knead 2-3 times on a floured surface, then cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out into a circular shape large enough to cover a 9" extra deep pie plate.
- Place in the pie plate and flute edges. Using a fork, poke the crust multiple times on the sides and bottom of the pan to create venting.
- Bake the crust alone at 400 degrees F for 5-8 minutes. This will ensure it gets fully cooked.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper together.
- Place Ham and Cheese in the bottom of the crust.
- Pour egg mixture over the top. Gently stir with a fork. Top with optional garnish.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes. The center should be firm and not wiggle when you shake it. (It can be covered with a piece of foil if it starts to get too brown.)