Light Wheat Bread
Ingredients: Yields 2 loaves
- In a medium bowl, combine yeast, 1/2 c water and 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir and let sit 10 minutes, or until foamy.
- While yeast is activating, microwave the milk for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine scalded milk, 1/4 c water, 5 tsp sugar, salt, and butter.
- Pour yeast mixture into the large bowl and stir.
- Add the 2 cups of whole wheat flour and mix in well.
- Continue to add white flour until the dough is soft and not sticky. Knead for 5-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn once to coat top. Cover and let raise until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts.
- Working with the first half, pat out into a rectangle shape that is about 9 inches by 7 inches. Fold the top 1/3 down, using the heel of your hand to firmly pat and seal. Fold the bottom 1/3 up and continue to pat and seal. Fold in half one more time, continuing to seal. Tuck and seal ends under.
- Place in well greased loaf pan (9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75). Repeat process for second loaf.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
Cook Time & Temperature:
- Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes. or until internal temperature reached 190 F.