- In a medium bowl, combine yeast, water and half of the sugar (1 Tablespoon). Set aside for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- While yeast is activating, in a large bowl combine remaining sugar (1 Tablespoon), oil, egg, and salt.
- Pour yeast mixture into the large bowl and stir.
- Add 3 cups of flour in and stir. Continue kneading in flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is soft and not sticky.
- Knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn once to coat top. Cover and let raise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 20 equal portions. (If you have a kitchen scale, weighing all of the dough, then dividing by 20 is an easy way to make each dough-ball the same size.)
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place into a greased 9x13 cake pan.
- Cover and let raise 30 minutes.
Cook Time & Temperature:
- Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes or until center measures 190 degrees F with a kitchen thermometer.
- Optional: Brush tops with melted butter.