Chocolate Angel Food with Chocolate Frosting
- Move your oven rack to the lowest height available, and pre-heat to 350 degrees F.
- Place egg whites in a large, very clean metal or glass bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, 3/4 Cup of the sugar, and baking cocoa in a small bowl until well combined.
- While beating the egg whites on medium speed, add the cream of tartar, vanilla and salt.
- When soft peaks start to form, slowly add the remaining 3/4 C sugar until stiff glossy peaks appear.
- Using a spatula, fold in the flour mixture slowly, taking care not to over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and invert the pan on a bottle.
- Let cool completely and remove from the pan.
- FROSTING: Beat the whipping cream in a bowl until is starts to appear thick. Add in the confectioner's sugar and cocoa. Continue beating until frosting is thick and stiff.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake. Optional: sprinkle baking cocoa on top.
- Notes: Cake can be made the day before, stored in a sealed container, and frosted the day it is served. Once frosted, refrigerate until ready to serve.