- In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Let sit 15 minutes or until foamy.
- In a large bowl, stir together oil (or butter) and salt.
- Add yeast mixture and stir.
- Gradually add flour until until a soft dough forms. Knead for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly grease bowl and turn once to prevent top from getting dry.
- Cover let raise until doubled in size. Punch down dough and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough based on how large you want bread bowls to be. (In picture above, the dough was divided into 3 balls that were 8 ounces in size each- holding approximately 1 cup of soup each.)
- Form into a ball shape and place on a lightly greased sheet pan. Cover and let double in size.
- Just before baking, use a sharp knife to cut an x-shaped vent on the top.
Cook Time & Temperature:
- Bake at 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice 1-1/2 inch off the top for the "lid". Use a tablespoon to "dig" out the insides, which are great for dipping!