Lemon Cream Layered Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease, flour and line three 9-inch round baking/cake pans.
- Beat together the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs, one at a time. Add lemon zest.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients, 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk, vanilla and mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans, and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Test at 25 minutes.
- Make the frosting: beat together the cream cheese and the butter. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping down the sides as needed. Mix in the vanilla and the 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
- Assemble the cake: Once the cakes have cooled COMPLETELY layer them with the cream
cheese frosting. Keep cake refrigerated until 1 hour before serving.