Ingredients: (Yields 5 medium calzones)
- Combine 1/2 cup hot water, yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup water, olive oil, 1 teaspoon sugar, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour yeast mixture into the medium bowl and stir.
- Stir 2 cups of the flour in and start to knead. Continue adding flour and kneading until a soft dough forms that is not sticky.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let raise for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into desired sizes. (This recipe will make 5 medium-sized calzones if divided into equal parts.)
- Roll dough into a circular shape and place filling on one half of the circle, taking care to leave 1/2 inch of dough around the sides for sealing.
- Fold the portion of the dough without filling on it over the top of the filling. Pinch edges to seal well.
- Starting at one side, roll the sealed edge upwards and tuck, continuing until you reach the other side.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, make 3 vent slits on the top.
- Using a fork, mix the egg and water together. Brush the wash onto the dough.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Optional: combine melter butter, garlic, oregano, and parmesan. Brush over the top of the baked calzone.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before eating, as it will be very hot!